Ok well today while looking into the fridge i saw i had lots of granny smiths apples which i use for my green fresh juicing. I looked online and found this great apple square recipe that brushes the pastry with egg whites then once cooked and removed from the oven,and drizzles a mix of icing sugar and water and vanilla over the big square pie. once set it give you this amazing crisp top to the finished product. ok well its still baking but smells great and looks good.
How ever the proof as i always say is in the eating. so here are some photos of the process and Ill go check if its done if so I’ll take the final photo and add it here later.Ok the finished product, and wow its so nice.
Menu and Method.
Apple Squares Dough:
5 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp. salt
2 cups shortening
4 eggs, separated
1 cup milk
2 cups crushed cornflakes
6 Granny Smith apples 1 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Combine the flour and salt in a large bowl and cut in the shortening. In a small bowl, beat the egg yolks and milk. Reserve the egg whites for later. Add the egg mixture to the flour mixure. Mix the dough until combined, form into a ball, and cut in half. Refrigerate for an hour or so.
3. In the meantime, crush your cornflakes into very fine pieces. Roll out the dough and place it on a 15 x10 sheet pan. Sprinkle all of the corn flake crumbs over the dough evenly.
4. Peel and slice the apples. Toss them with the sugar and cinnamon. Place the apples in a flat layer on top of cornflake crumbs.
5. Roll out the remaining dough, place on top of the apples layer, cut some slits to let the steam escape and seal the edges (tuck the top crust under the bottom if you need to). Beat the egg whites until foamy and brush all over the top of the crust.
6. Bake at 350 for 1 hour, until the crust is golden. Cool slightly.
7. Combine the icing ingredients in a small bowl. Drizzle the icing evenly over the crust. Cool completely before cutting into squares.
Article printed from Make Ahead Meals For Busy Moms: http://www.makeaheadmealsforbusymoms.com URL to article: http://www.makeaheadmealsforbusymoms.com/thebestapplesquaresever/
This is not the same recipe as i used but it’s the closest I could find.