Boxing day is usually a day to get over the celebrations of Christmas day and just chill out. my day started at 6am, Just back from dropping off friends at the customs, who stayed over and to my surprise it was quite busy, normally over the holidays it is very quiet in JB, but today their was so many people in the city this early.
I myself am an early riser, I love to relax on the balcony and just listen to the sound of JB coming to life, with cockerels crowing cock a doodle dooooooooo, and the motor bikes heading off into singapore, the trains as it passes into the CIQ Station and the many buses that ply the routes in/out of JB City.
Also at this time of the year the clouds in the sky are really nice to look at in the morning with the rising sun shinning up behind them. Their are so many things in life that are FREE if only people would slow down and take the time to just look around them. JB i like because their is so much Greenery around and the council do a great job at keeping them looking good. especially along the roads and highways with the topiary that they do.
Life is Good at the moment lets hope that 2013 will be as good as 2012, for us all.
What is Boxing Day?:
When is Boxing Day?:
Why is it Called Boxing Day:
- A ‘Christmas Box’ in Britain is a name for a Christmas present.
- Boxing Day was a day off for servants and when they received a ‘Christmas Box’ from the master. The servants would also go home to give ‘Christmas Boxes’ to their families.
- A box to collect money for the poor was placed in Churches on Christmas day then opened the next day.
- Great sailing ships when setting sail would have a sealed box containing money on board for good luck.If the voyage were a success the box was given to a priest, opened at Christmas and the contents given to the poor.
- for more info on this special please visit
But for me the real joy of Boxing day was the sport, In the UK sport was shown on tv and it was great to go down to the pub meet up with friends and watch the sport while having a few beers, then home to the family for great food, and more sport, I used to love the horse racing and like to bet who would win via my online accounts. all the family got involved and although the money bet was small we would all put 5 pounds into a pot and whoever got the most winners for the day would get the pot. sometimes as much 100 pounds. depending how many joined in.
So I hope your day is filled with great company and sports for the whole family to enjoy..
Have a great Day
John J Foster-Your host.